RE: Re: What's The Story? Under the Red Moon Challenge

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:49:58 GMT

In message <519060.71445.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>--- donald_at_... wrote:
>> If it's a standard RPG session the PCs are going to
>> be Kallyr, the three grain priestesses, one or two
>> Lunar turncoats and maybe the owner of the place.
>
>Maybe cut down on that, even. Two grain priestesses,
>and one of them could be Lunar. I like having the
>husband of one of them around - well, we know he is,
>he's in the picture! He's a very different view-point,
>and we need some variety.

Sure he's around, as a follower. I don't think there's enough story for a player in a warrior deferring to his wife. Instead the player will probably shift the story to how to beat up the opposition on the HP.

I'm thinking of the story as the conflict between Kallyr and the various grain priestesses about if and how to carry this HQ out. Knowing gamers the answer to the first question is yes but the second is completely up in the air. To ensure all the players have a part to play in the HQ I'll assume the priestesses who are chosen to lead are expected to support the one who is.

> (Also, there may be male players, and we'd better give
>them a character to play).

I'm assuming some male players will take a female role. Indeed I expect many female gamers will be reluctant to take grain priestess roles assuming that they'll end up subservient to the warrior characters.

>> which means Kallyr gets Elusu as well as Ernaldesta,
>> Insterid and Offir.
>
>Noooo! Not Elusu! No way! Can you imagine what having
>a Trickster present would do to the plot?

Hee, Hee, Hee.
[evil GM laugh]

One thing that does need writing up is that ritual Kallyr has on her lap. Perhaps she sees a need for a trickster in her plans.

>> It could be done as a freeform with all
>> PCs but that would involve a lot of writing.
>
>And would then be far too complicated, with too many
>people for my simple brain to keep track of, and I'd
>drop out. (I think that's the definition of
>"free-form", right there: RPG with too many players).

The last freeform I played in had just seven players. Fifteen to twenty is manageable on an individual basis after that it's a matter of grouping people into factions.

Not to worry, this not going to get written as a freeform.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/