RE: Re: What's The Story? Under the Red Moon Challenge

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 02:51:39 GMT

In message <688702.92690.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>--- donald_at_... wrote:

>We'll need a myth: yes, players can write one on the
>fly, but having one ready to go would be better. A
>nice Sartarite equivalent that crosses the path of the
>Lunar one. Maybe a gender-neutral Sage PC as well, to
>provide this sort of thing?

There's the Lunar one which Kallyr has details of - basically repeating Hon-Eel's introduction of maize to Tarsh to reinforce it. This may or may not be precisely what the Lunars perform. Each of the grain priestesses has their own idea of how to use myth to replace one crop with another. We're talking about cult secrets here not standard mythology that might be shared with the sages. If it was that easily available Kallyr would have got it from Mynarath Purple.

>> > (Also, there may be male players, and we'd better
>> > give them a character to play).
>>
>> I'm assuming some male players will take a female
>> role.
>
>Some may, but a lot of people don't like swapping
>genders in F2F.

Hmm, I'll have to think about that. I might be restricting the potential players excessively.

>> Indeed I expect many female gamers will be reluctant
>> take grain priestess roles assuming that they'll end
>> up subservient to the warrior characters.
>
>Maybe... when are you setting this? Pre-Dragonrise, or
>post? It makes quite a difference to Kallyr's position
>w.r.t. the priestesses. Make it pre, maybe even back
>before 1619, she's got a lot less influence, they get
>a fairer share of the action.

I think this game is going to depend far more on player interactions and how they play their characters than Kallyr's authority. Pre Dragonrise but after the Fimblewinter is probably best.

>> >Noooo! Not Elusu! No way! Can you imagine what
>> >having a Trickster present would do to the plot?
>>
>> Hee, Hee, Hee. [evil GM laugh]
>
>He's a follower, so the main PC gets to control him,
>not the GM. Are you absolutely sure you want this?
>[evil player laugh]

But the GM, and the dice, decide the consequences of his actions.

>If so, don't bother writing the plot, you won't get
>near it.

Oh, you're expecting a plot!

Here you are:
The temple to Hon-Eel in Furthest will be carrying out a ritual to boost the maize crop. If the players don't interfere the Lunars will succeed without significant problems.

I'm expecting one of two things:
A) The players agree on an objective and how to achieve it.

   They then get to see if it works.
B) The players squabble entertainingly, fail to agree and

   get nowhere.

>> One thing that does need writing up is that ritual
>> Kallyr has on her lap.
>
>If that is the ritual, of course. I'm sure it isn't
>the whole of it.

Probably not, but it's all Kallyr knows.

>> Perhaps she sees a need for a trickster in her plans.
>
>Someone suggested once that a Trickster can act as a
>"wild card" in a ritual, and can take any role equally
>well.
>
>I've also heard that for real Change, you have to have
>a Trickster present: and given the apparent links
>between GLs and tricksters, I can believe it.

Makes sense. And doesn't rely on him doing anything specific.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/