Re: Heroquest rules - Equipment

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 15:01:15 -0700

> evil_edy666 <evil_edy666_at_...> wrote:
> Throughout the rules I read statements like equipment augmenting
> target numbers etc. Where do these numbers come from and more
> importantly how do I determine what those numbers are? Example is I
> have 2 players both are wearing a harden leather and wield dual Short
> Swords. But no where in the rules can I find a mention of how I am to
> determine what bonuses the equipment might give? Or is up to me to
> just wing these numbers and make something up?

As noted in a previous message, page 78 gives the guidelines.

In general, "small" weapons get a +1 bonus, "medium" a +3, and "large" get +5.
I arbitrarily decided on the categories, but basically, "small" weapons are things like hatchets, daggers, shortswords, pointy sticks, etc. "Medium" weapons are the standard of their type - broadswords, 1H axes and maces, spears, and the like. Finally, "Big" wepaons are pretty much all two-handers.

Armor is also divided in a similar 1/3/5 system, with shields adding a +1. Armor is generally considered along a fabric angle, with leather, furs, cotton padding, etc. at the low end, flexible metal (Chain, lamellar, Scale) armor in the middle, and Full Plate at the upper end.

The 0/2/4/6 points are for adjectives that indicate that a piece of equipment is significantly better or worse that it's name would otherwise place it. A "Well crafted broadsword" could be a +4 instead of +3, while "Ratty Chain armor" might only be a +4 instead of +5. a "Small stick" might not get any bonus at all!

So your two heroes with hardened leather and dual shortswords would have +1 for armor and +1 for each weapon, for a total of +3 to their Combat Ability rating. If you think that "hardened" should get a +1 as a "better" type of armor, then it's a +4.

And note that, if you *do* allow equipment mods, you should allow them for *all* types of abilities that use equipment, not just combat. A "well designed writing desk" might give a scribe +4 to his "Write" ability" etc. Combat equipment mods can give you up to +12 or so ("Good" Plate Armor, with a "Good" two handed weapon), so that's pretty much the maximum you should give as a equipment mod.

I have since kinda fallen out of love with most equipment mods, prefering instead to have a piece of equipment given a ability rating which can be used as a modifier.

RR