Re: Heroquest rules - Equipment

From: Brian Curley <bkcurley_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 09:30:30 -0500

"Lev Lafayette" said:
> The stubborn runequest-trained simulationist in me has
> never liked this method; I've always preferred to have
> different weapons cause different wound levels, rather
> than have them as augments to an ability roll.
>
>> Armor is also divided in a similar 1/3/5 system,
>> with shields adding a +1.
>> Armor is generally considered along a fabric angle,
>> with leather, furs,
>> cotton padding, etc. at the low end, flexible metal
>> (Chain, lamellar, Scale)
>> armor in the middle, and Full Plate at the upper
>> end.

> Ditto, armour reduces the wound level.

This is the original Hero Wars method, where equipment generally provided an edge (increase or decrease to the AP bid in an extended contest). I always kind of liked this method better. But I think I'm being persuaded by the "new" idea of assigning equipment ability scores like everything else and then using them as augments (although with the new thinking on augments, I don't know how this would work - but I like anything that leads to the cessation of 'scouring the sheet for augments' on every roll).

BKC