RE: Re: Scoured augments (from HQ rules - Equipment)

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:19:45 +0100

Hi Sam and Jamie and everybody who knows me and everyone who doesn't :)

Sam: I was suggesting you try it :) Just shows how poor my explanation was: it didn't even show that this is precisely one of the things we have been playtesting. D'og!

Re: Jamie's memory of the 'experiment'. I'd agree that every method (bar one) that we tried to 'control augmentation' failed badly.

The only one that has survived, to evolve into the current form described in this thread, was: 'always narrate-in the augments'. It has now become: narrate the Goal Outcome, making sure you include augments (otherwise they are not in-effect). Linked with 'augments address the Goal', this brings the focus towards the goal of narrative play: satisfying narration of the heroes' story (contrasting with (bit o' controversy) 'beating the opposition at any cost, even the story' (which I have been guilty of big-time).

I'm not one of these people who has a very negative view of the way the HQ rulebook was written but I will say one thing: it fails in showing people how to play in the way we've been discussing. It wouldn't be fair of me to leave that out-of-context; this subject is such a difficult one to grasp for most of the RPG community that there are endless blogs, forums, lists and whatnot striving to do just that.

To contrast with Jamie's suggestion that players make directorial decisions concerning scene focus etc, I think that most people will find themselves thrown out of the make-believe-zone. From my perspective, that's the narrator's job. Consider the radio narrator as a good model for what I mean.

As to the opinion about the character's investment being expressed by augments: again I think that this is more an observational cue to be used by the narrator. In an attempt to simulate this in-game I already apply outcome modifiers (you know, -1, 10%, 50%) not only to the main ability but to all augments used (when used as an augment or not; applied to the skill
(17-1=16) or the augment modifier (+2-1=+1). This method is supposed to have
the effect Jamie spoke of ("putting aspects of your character on the line") - remember the outcome modifiers last until 'worked off'.

It never rains until it pours with me, eh? :)