Re: Gamers percieved issues with HQ/HW - a sample

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:20:47 -0000

and

> 5. I could not work out how to write adventures for it.

These are very probably related! If you can't work out how to write an adventure you will be reliant on "ready to run" material, both to give you a scenario to play, and to teach you how to write your own in future.

It is, if not harder, certainly *different* to write scenarios for HQ than for more "traditional" games (like RQ, Pendragon or D&D) - for a start you can't assume what skills a character has (so no "With a successful 'Spot Hidden' the character will notice..."). So you need to come up with challenges that allow Players to use a variety of techniques to handle to a much greater degree.

I'd like to see more "ready to run" material for HQ - I think it's easier to assimilate information about Glorantha or it's cultures when you encounter them in a "Game" setting rather than as a "text book entry" (You also automatically make them part of "your Glorantha" as your characters react and interact with them in ways the authors did not necessarily envisage or intend). I'd also hope that the new rulebook will contain advice on writing scenarios to help people play to it's strengths.

(I know we have discussed writing scenarios on one of the lists before, and again, I think such discussion is always helpful, providing it doesn't deteriorate into "My way right - Your way wrong" namecalling)