Re: HQ 2.0 Status and related projects

From: Dana Johnson <danaellijohnson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:46:41 -0000

At one point, I thought the idea was that HQ2.0 was going to have a sort of generic core of rules called QuestWorlds and a Gloranthan application of those generic core rules called HeroQuest.

The flavor of discussion I've seen on the lists and rpg.net seems to indicate that this is no longer the plan, and apparently hasn't been for quite awhile.

Which is fine, except for the fact that I think the "gloranthan-specific" magic rules in HQ1.0 really hurt it's utility, tying a really great rules-set to a very quirky specific setting.

Obviously, for gloranthan gamers, this is a non-issue and, equally obviously, you can mod the rules pretty easily to extract a more generic engine for "fantastic abilities". But as someone who enjoys a great deal of variety in my gaming intake, it's something of a disappointment to hear.

Am I wrong about this?

I mean, I'm going to get the rules either way, and obviously my vote is a lone unimportant voice in the wilderness long after the text has been produced. It just sometimes feels like what I hear about the rules on Robin D. Law's livejournal and what I hear from places like this list are about two completely different games.

:/