Re: HQ 2.0 Status and related projects

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 18:27:40 -0700

Dana

>At one point, I thought the idea was that HQ2.0 was going to have a
>sort of generic core of rules called QuestWorlds and a Gloranthan
>application of those generic core rules called HeroQuest.

While the names may have been changed, the rules draft Robin Laws delivered were indeed exceedingly generic. I think you'll see from the examples that you can use it for Spanish Main pirates, post-apocalyptic survivalism, classic Greece, space opera, modern day, and even Glorantha.

>Which is fine, except for the fact that I think the
>"gloranthan-specific" magic rules in HQ1.0 really hurt it's utility,
>tying a really great rules-set to a very quirky specific setting.

The rules are definitely not tied to any setting. I believe the Gloranthan content I alluded to in another e-mail is about 10% of the total word count. (And I can make it shorter if need be :-)

>sometimes feels like what I hear about the
>rules on Robin D. Law's livejournal and what I hear from places like
>this list are about two completely different games.

They're the same.

--

David Dunham