Re: Let's see if this gets some discussion going - "party balance"

From: Pete Darby <pete.darby_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:20:02 +0100

Well, for a game "about" effectively killing things and taking their stuff, then in game effectiveness at supporting the gorup goal of killing things and taking their stuff should be balanced, otherwise some players are going to be more involved with the game than others on the basis of their character abilities.

But if the game is about collaborativley generating an interesting story, what needs to be balanced is narrative interest, for want of a less wanky phrase. Equal story-stuff, if you like.

Frodo is in no way tactically or effectively balanced with Aragorn... but his attributes include the one ring which, though for his purposes not very tactically effective (I remember seeing a discussion ages ago on why an AD&D character would trade the one ring for a vorpal sword any day, unless you stat up the "control all the bad guys" power, missing the point by a mile), gets him insto the centre of the story...

If points in attributes are balanced, then as long as the GM equally balances exposure to those attributes, everyone should get roughly equal "screen time" or "story input" or "focus" or "impact". I find player "talent" increases in direct proportion to how much impact their characters have on the game; you have to work very hard to be dull with an interesting character that affects and is affected by their environment, I'd think as hard as you'd have to work to be interesting with an isolated, one dimensional character.

So the balance issues in HQ chargen is partly illusory, if you treat it as an excercise in making a character balanced in terms of diagetic, simulated, how many hit points, lowest THAC0 fashion. But it's not really about that, it's about giving characters equal story impact.

In HQ, you CAN run the fellowship as an absolute, straight down the line, numerically balanced party, or as a few heroes with sidekicks. You can also run, again as an absolutely perfectly numerically balanced starting party, a Lunar Noble & retinue, a family of Orlanthi, a pirate ship crew... sure, in the game world, one will be "in charge", one will be able to kick the other's asses, some will be low down on the pecking order with little apparent effectivenes, but they will have as much story stuff around them as the "big guys", as many numbers to throw around in their conflicts as them.

IN game power in HQ really is story power, whatever the combat, social, whatever abilities are. I'd stick with keeping everyone with the same number of abilities, points, etc, but encourage diversity in attributes.

--
Pete Darby

Every Child Matters?
Each week: 450,000 children are bullied in school.
Each year: more than 360,000 children injured in schools
Each year: at least 16 children commit suicide as a result of school
bullying
Each year: an estimated 1 million children truant
Each year: more than 1 in 6 children leave school unable to read, write or
add up