Re: Re: Fyrds massing on the borders

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:19:01 -0600 (CST)

Jeff Kyer says:

> Its worse than raiding, its a set piece battle. I hope there's
> supposed to be rules for big clan vs clan battles somewhere out there.
> Its _WAR_ when the fyrd (not just a cattle raid or hefty raid) shows
> up. Everyone who can lift a spear or swing a sling shows up...
>
> ...that's total commitment. And probaly has total commitment of magic
> too. The last act of a feud.
>
> And of course, it doesn't talk about _tribal_ war either.

Hmm, but the model KoDP gives us doesn't really stretch that far either; I'm not sure how much the Orlanthi go in for "total war." Raiding a neighbor until they move away (which is pretty devistating physically, economically, and magically) seems to be more their speed. However, the Lunars don't play that way, and there's really nowhere for a clan to move anymore, anyway (into the Bush Range?), so I suspect that the Sartar tribes are having a "military methods" crisis in the early 1600s. How would you solve it?

Peter Larsen