Re: Re: SUBCULT CONFUSION!

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:18:37 -0800

> Re: Cementing a feat: basically, when you do this, it just means that you
> can use that feat (and that feat alone) without an improv penalty, if
> you're an initiate, right?

No! If you are an initiate, you can *never* "know" feats for your affinities. All you can do is improvise. An initiate can learn "stand-alone" feats only - Barantaros' "Whirlwind Combat" is an example of a Stand-alone feat - it doesn't belong to any affinity (Baranatros isn't all that powerful).

>Would a devotee ever cement a feat? If so, when and why?

*Only* a devotee would cement a feat. The hero "rediscovers" a feat of his god (ie, the player says "oh yeah, Joe tries to do that trick where Destor Jumped over his enemy's head") and *then* decideds to cement the feat (writes in his character description "Joe knows the Head-Leaping feat of Destor"). Now he can use the feat at his Movement (or whatever) ability rating, without an improv. penalty.

The feats listed in the writeups are not the only things the god ever did, or the only things known about. They are representitive deeds done by the god. We included 4-5 feats for each affinity, but you are expected to make up your own. If you want to start the game with four feats that aren't listed anywhere but your character sheet, please do (then share them with the rest of the list). As a narrator I'd allow a player to invent as many feats as they want, but generally restrict him to 4-5 feats in each affintiy at the start of the game (that's just so a clever player doesn't just make up a bunch of names for feats and write in 2 dozen feats, swamping his not-so-clever fellow players.)

RR