Re: Re: SUBCULT CONFUSION!

From: plarsen_at_...
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:16:24 -0600 (CST)

Guy Hoyle says:

> All right, this is obviously something that confuses me greatly. When
> devotee wants to use a listed feat, he gets it at whatever his Affinity
> score is, right? Is it only the listed feats? I thought he'd get
> improvised feats at the same level, but I'm beginning to think I'm
> mistaken

Think of it this way: a god (or hero or whatever) gives its worshippers powers based on what it did during the Gods' Ages.

Pantheon worshippers know only the most basic myths of a god and have a weak link to the deity; they can call on that god for help, invoking its most famous and general powers. Everyone know Mastakos moves fast; a Issarion might pray to him for speed while fleeing an Uz ambush. The Issarion would have to use Worship (Storm Pantheon), so her chances aren't great.

Initiates know more myths and more secrets of common myths. They also have a closer connection to the god. They can use their Affinities to work magic, but their limited undestanding hampers them. They have to deal with improvising everything because they don't know many details of the myth. A Mastakos Initiate knows that Mastakos once crossed Dragon Pass in three steps, but he doesn't know where the god stepped or what he said while doing it. So he uses his Movement Affinity at (-3) to move quickly.

Devotees have a close link with their god and can easily emulate its most famous feats (although on a lesser scale). A Devotee of Mastakos knows the exact places and prayers Mastakos used to cross Dragon Pass, so he can use his full Affinity score to use the appropriate feat. As Devotees increase their knowledge of their god, they learn more feats (obscure myths, secret meanings, etc) and can learn to use new powers or old powers in new ways (improvising a feat a couple of times, then cementing it with a HP).

Heavens knows what Disciples can do.

Does this help? (If I'm wrong, some one will Correct me, I'm sure.)

Peter Larsen