Augment timing

From: Jamie <anti.spam_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:50:29 -0000

Agree in principle but I like system to reflect the narrative both ways (its my thing, a lot of my system choices have this in mind).

Also, I was surprised by this, having not noticed it before, and it led me to read and reread the augment section several times. Even the relationship example is later used as an example of how an augment can be delayed until it is most appropriate, in case the next contest framed does not have the expected foe.

The point being that an augment is a discrete contest with separate framing, separate goals (with a mechanical effect of providing a bonus in a subsequent contest) and occurs before the main contest is framed. As such an augment contest can never fully take into account the nature of the contest it is to be used in.

This is not to say that in a real game you couldn't get to the main contest and then backtrack to the augment, but this is not the way the rules are presented, and none of the examples suggest this mode of play. It may be one of those subtle changes between editions that is profound but goes unnoticed due to old habits.

Jamie