Re: [HQ2] Are Gloranthan Spirit Worshippers limited to five charms ?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:38:16 -0700 (PDT)

Christian asks:
> It seems spirit worshippers are limited to five charms. They are allowed "to swap"

> them around for a different effect when they raise their tradition keyword, but
> overall there is this limit of FIVE, yes ?

I think not. You can add a charm just like any ability. But who would want to play a character who had 14 charms and no other abilities? I suspect that, in the course of play, you will acquire more charms, just like you acquire more abilities. As a narrator, I'd almost always make the heroes play out adding a new ability, or at least have a story-based reason.

> The same question for Spirit Societies. Although a member of a spirit society can create
> charms on his own, it seems he is limited to five...is that correct ?

I'n not sure if you meant that your animist is limited to 5 spirit socieities or 5 charms, so I'll give what I think is the answer on both.

I would think it very difficult to join 5 spirit soceities. One or two is sensible. Three would be possible under some circumstances. More seems ridiculous for anything less than a holy monk. (And if you're doing that, why not become a shaman instead?) Each society takes up some of your time. Who is minding the herd while you are off chanting to your great spirits? And, since joining a spirit society allows the narrator to treat your tradition rating as a flaw, how are you going to juggle the conflicting taboos, mandatory actions, and so on that your spirit soceities demand?

I think the only limit on the number of hcarms you create is one per session. But you do have to take it as an additional ability, for a hero point cost. And the fact that the limit is one per session strongly implies that your narrator should make you play it out, with the chance of failure. And, by making you play it out, it has to make sense. None of this: "While we're being chased by the headhunters, I stop and make an anti-headhunting charm." Making a charm is a ritual activity that takes time. You have to fasion an appropriate object to be the charm. This is a home for the type of spirit you want to have in it, so you may need special materials. You have to attract the attention of the spirits, which usually requires an appropriate place, time, and ceremony. Then you have to open the window to the other side and negotiate with the spirits you find there. Then you roll the die to see if you succeed. So, in real, play, I suspect that you will have  less than on eopportunity per session to create a charm.

All IMO.

Chris Lemens