Gloranthan magic in HQCR

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:22:07 -0700 (PDT)

LC:

> I do want to see each expanded somewhat, the shift in how spirits work
> from common charms to practice spirits was a bit unclear to me, for
> instance, but the general principle of rising active use and a more
> generous interpretation of "credible" as the basis works for me.

One of the benefits of the new rules is that it eliminates a lot of the odd terminology around animism. "Practice" and "practitioner" are deprecated terms. I think this is a good idea because "spirit society" and "spirit society member" are easier concepts for a new reader to grasp. Likewise, "fetish" is a deprecated term. "Charm" now covers the spirit homes that tradition members and spirit society members hold (unless you're a hsunchen).

Here's my summary of the differences between tradition members and spirit society members:

1. Passive or active magic: Tradition members get passive use of their charms as augments. Spirit society members get active use of their charms with some limitations: (a) The active use is a stretch. (b) The effects must be ones permitted by your spirit society. (I read this to be satisfied if the spirit in the charm is one that is related to the great spirit of your society, such as one of Storm Bull's berserker spirits for a Bullman.)
2. Changing magic: Spirit society members can, by themselves, swap spirits in their charms for other spirits.* Tradition members can't.
3. Charm popping: Spirit society members can, once per session, release a spirit from its charm and use that magic actively, without treating it as a stretch. Tradition members can't.
4. Spirit allies: Spirit society members can have spirit allies. Tradition members can't.
5. Charm making: Spirit society members can make charms using their spirit sense, once per session.* Tradition members can't.

*I think these abilities ought to be limited to the spirits related to the spirit society. I don't know if that was what was intended.

And here's a little color for animists:

Someone heads most spirit societies that are actual organizations. I'd call these people medicine men or medicine women. They hold the medicine bundle of the great spirit (if it has one), which has extra powers that vary depending on the culture and the spirit.

Sometimes, a spirit society will have someone who heads a defined part of the spirit society, such as a temple, or a local worship spot, or the worshippers within a certain tribe. I'd call these people witch doctors, especially where they are embedded in a foreign culture.

Chris Lemens