re: [HeroQuest 2.0] Need some rules clarifications

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 09:13:23 -0700

meatball3059

>2- If the heroe's abilities ratings start at 17 for one and 13 for
>the rest, what's a typical denizen's average?

Does it matter? When your character needs to roll contests against a typical individual, HQ gives you ways to come up with the appropriate resistance. You won't be rolling against a 6 most of the time.

Don't forget that HQ doesn't try to be a mechanical simulation of odds. "My ability is 17, his is 6, so my chance of winning is..." Instead, it deals with the story situation. If drama suggests that your hero needs to breeze through a cloud of mooks to get to the villain, then maybe the appropriate resistance is 6.

>Clarification on the 3rd question, please:
>Londoner 15 = cost 2 points (13+2=15)
>Know Local Accents 16 = cost 3 points (13+3=16)
>Siff Up Lip 17 = cost either 0 for the most important or 4 points (13+4=17)
>Is that correct?

I think the answer is: it depends. If you're looking at the umbrella keyword approach, it takes 2 hero points to increase a keyword, and 1 hero point to increase an ability. But narrators are free to allow keywords to improve *during character creation* for 1 HP.

>Any ability under a keyword that is related to that keyword is cheaper to buy?

No.

--

David Dunham