Re: Re: Apple Lane, the Sun Dome Temple, and Yelmalio

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 04:17:41 GMT

In message <4A7F82E4.1000400_at_...> Greg Stafford writes:

>We have had discussions on rates of travel before.
>
>I know what I wrote, that 20 miles a day is possible, but that is ONLY if:
>1. You know the way, or it is well marked

Like a road where you've got a description of the junctions. Which is why I specified the road route rather than the shorter cross country route.

>2. You do not have to find food.

For a journey of a few days most people would carry enough with them. You could even miss eating for a couple of days.

>3. You are in EXCELLENT health, young and energetic; OT it is relatively
>flat (i.e.--not in Sartar.

I've done more than 20 miles in a day on footpaths in hilly terrain. It wasn't even a long day, six maybe seven hours. A typical Sartarite will be a lot fitter than I've ever been.

>4. You are traveling alone, or someone else in a similar conditions.

Well yes, the slowest person in the party will determine its speed.

>5. You do not get lost, hurt or distracted.
>6. no one stops you.

Sure, and there's no bad weather.

There are a lot of potential reasons for delay but there's no reason to assume any apply.

>If it is 40 miles in Sartar, I'd suggest that 10 miles a day is more
>likely for a relatively FAST party.

A ploughman will walk that far behind his ox team in a short winter's day.

Remember the standard days march for the Roman legions was 20 miles and an entire legion is never going to travel as fast as half a dozen people.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/