_The Game_ by Dianna Wynne Jones

From: Michael Jason Teegarden <mjteegarden_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, all. I don't remember seeing this come across on this list, but in case it has, please forgive me this repost. :)

I recommend to you all the novel _The Game_ by Dianna Wynne Jones (2007). This has nothing to do with the movie starring Michael Douglas (though that is a wonderful source for creative/imaginative storytelling for our part, too). Specifically, I recommend the novel (more of a novella, really) because it describes the characters' wanderings in something called "the mythosphere," essentially a streamlined folklore plane, myth/legend plane, and god plane all in one, and the description strongly resembles our game's heroquesting. If you haven't read it, I won't spoil it here, but I do strongly recommend it to you. It beautifully treats the subject at the heart of our own games. :)

Michael