Re: questions on examples or generators for monsters/npc/items, in Glorantha and other settings

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:20:23 -0500

Hal Bowman wrote:

> I have not purchased the HQ2 rules book yet and have questions that I
> didn't see answered in the previews, or at least I didn't understand
> the answers if they were there. Maybe these should be in separate posts...
>
> 1. If I tried to put together a series based on the Glorantha setting,
> would I have enough in the book to let me quickly come up with, say,a
> handful of Broo to menace the local farm?

Not if you didn't already know what Broo were. The HQ2 rules are generic, and not Gloranthan. There is an appendix for Glorantha in the back, however. If you already have knowledge of what Broo can do, this should be quite easy.

Please note that NPCs in this game don't have fixed stats, but create resistances to players' actions. So in one way all you would need to know is what resistance it poses to the players. You can just say "Broo 15" and be done. It is, I find, more fun to have something specific in mind about their "Brooness" when describing them, however. :)

> An example band or some sort of generator to let me know what sort of
> values for abilities might be appropriate?

If you are speaking of NPCs? As mentioned, they have no fixed abilities. There is a generator for helping decide what kind of values would be appropriate for the resistance based on narrative logic in the story. (i.e. The players are doing well, things get harder. The players are doing poorly, time for something easier.)

> If Broo are too crazily varied, how about a pack of wolves? Typical
> file of Lunar legionnaires? etc. How much would I need to cook the
> balance on my own or rely on old stuff?

You would get no help from the rules in describing what these things are like in general, let alone in rule form. A pack of wolves at least you would presumably have a real world idea, but nothing in that book would give you an idea of what a file of Lunar Legionnaires are like. Again, the actual stat/resistance the players must overcome to deal with them you can set from the Pass/Fail system or from in-world logic or just what feels right. I would recommend pillaging an old book to get the "Gloranthan details" right.

> 2. If I tried to put together a series based on, say, gangster movies,
> would I have to make up the values for things like cars and guns? I
> think I understand the idea of resistances, but some sort of
> credibility frame would be great.

Yes, you would make up the values where appropriate. But it mostly would not be worth the trouble. If a PC had a car and gave it a ranking, then that car is important, and you should consider whether cars are faster or slower than it. The credibility frame would just be that. (Or maybe you could look up some general speeds for cars in the 30s and keep that in mind when deciding what's credible.) Same for guns. If no one names a gun as an ability, then the guns are just tools and should be treated as such. If it does have an ability, you might want to think more about why it does and what that means. Stat-wise, there's no point in working out rate of fire or caliber or any such thing. (Description-wise, all that can be fun of course.)

> 3. Is all in-house development going toward producing material for
> Glorantha?

I'm not sure. I was of the understanding that Moon Design is only doing Glorantha products but the HQ2 system can be licensed to produce other products. (I could be misremembering that quite easily.)

LC