Re: Re: Keywords only, or additional list of abilities?

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:48:29 +1100

2009/12/23 Jeff <richaje_at_...>

> John - have you read Sartar? How is that not a genre pack?
>
> Jeff

I haven't Jeff; in candour I am not really happy with my experience of ordering books from the site and so have been reticient about trying again. I am contemplating the PDF though.

As I have mentioned before, lists of abilities as examples of "things this might let you do" are tremendously effective at communicating rich sources of information to roleplaying gamers. Conceptually gamers are cognitively wired to respond to this kind of thing by long experience and practice using it.

While it is true that plaintext descriptions of what keywords means are incredibly useful to people who have not steeped themselves in the informational structures of this past-time, it is also beneficial to provide easily referenced summaries - like the old abilitty lists. This reduces the need to read and comprehend large amounts of text... and I am given to understand that Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes is a fairly weighty volume!

--
John Machin