Re: Heroquests

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:01:52 EST

I have a playing in Glorantha question which may be slightly rulesy.

I have set up an historical campaign; the Founding of Pavis. It is rather Open, with the Heroes as a disparate bunch brought together, in part, by the magic of Lord Pavis, and in part for their own reasons. The recent episode involved defeating a wildfire intent on destroying the new settlement within Paragua's Walls, as well as a bit of politics and Zebra Herding. The next episode has been set up so that the Heroes try to find a way to ritually defeat Oakfed in some way so that Lord Pavis can control Oakfed within his city (as per the RQ2 cult of Pavis). The Heroes plan to somehow steal the knowledge of defeating this particular elemental demon from a Waha shaman. Should I:

  1. let them use sorcerous mind reading abilities (we have a sorceror), theistic memory stealing (we have a Blue Moon devotee,,,don't tell anyone!), or sheer intimidation (we have a Pure Horse Shaman with 5W intimidation backed up by intimidating spirits).
  2. get them to make the shaman take them through the ritual somehow. The ritual being some sort of 'Taming Wildfire' heroquest
  3. let them try and defeat Oakfed himself without any guidance whatsover. (eeek)
  4. something else, eg a combo of a) and c)?

I think I would prefer to have them travel to the Singed Ruin and do the heroquest themselves but cannot think how to make it achievable.

I am also a little stuck at how to run an animist Heroquest. Same format as Hervald's Helm? How are animists different?

Just writing this has helped a bit, but suggestions woudl be very welcome.

Keith N