Re: questions on examples or generators for monsters/npc/items, in Glora

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:08:14 -0800

Hal

>1. If I tried to put together a series based on the Glorantha
>setting, would I have enough in the book to let me quickly come up
>with, say,a handful of Broo to menace the local farm? An example
>band or some sort of generator to let me know what sort of values
>for abilities might be appropriate? If Broo are too crazily varied,
>how about a pack of wolves? Typical file of Lunar legionnaires? etc.
>How much would I need to cook the balance on my own or rely on old
>stuff?

"Pick the resistance, then justify it." [p. 8] I assume you can describe the difference betwen ravenous, howling, scary wolves (high resistance) and cowardly, skulking wolves (low resistance).

The HQ2 book doesn't describe broo or wolves. Assuming you know what they are, you can use them easily in your story. You don't need a list of abilities -- it's contextual and narrative. One broo may use Overpowering Stench (which PCs would have to resist with an appropriate ability like Strong Stomach or Sweet Breeze), another would attack with Copious Supply of Tentacles (which would need a different ability to counter). But their difficulty in story terms would be the same.

>2. If I tried to put together a series based on, say, gangster
>movies, would I have to make up the values for things like cars and
>guns? I think I understand the idea of resistances, but some sort of
>credibility frame would be great.

I wouldn't. If the player wants to have a tommy gun, have him write it on the sheet and assign a rating. That's the PC's ability to solve problems with it. It may or may not be a better weapon than an Enfield rifle. Credibility would only come into play if someone wants to use the tommy gun as a sniper, or hide the Enfield in a violin case. Group consensus can rule on these pretty easily.

I believe Facebook pages are readable by anyone (<http://www.facebook.com/pages/HeroQuest-Role-Playing-in-Glorantha/133626110014> should work).

--

David Dunham