Re: Blood Over Gold and HQ2

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:03:24 -0800

> [I also posted this over at HQ-Rules...there seems to be some overlap and
> I get confused about where the RPG v. Rules divide is]

Hmm, hasn't shown up over there for me, yet, so I'll just answer here...

> I have purchased and downloaded HQ2, Blood Over Gold, and Sartar: Kingdom
> of Heroes. I've read through HQ2 sort of quickly, most of Blood Over Gold,
> and some of Sartar. From the face of it, it looks like the stat blocks in
> Blood Over Gold will work with HQ2, but it's early going. Does anyone know
> where the incompatibilities are and have suggested fixes?

You don't really need stat blocks for NPCs any more. You can use them for inspiration on how to describe a contest, but with the new relativism of HQ2, you don't need to know if someone has a "Sword and Spear 12w". You can use the ability values to determine if the character should normally be considered a "Hard", "Moderate", etc. opponent in contests (if you're not using the pass/fail cycle).

Convert "Affinities" to "Rune Affinities", and use the old lists of "feats" as an indication of what the rune affinity can be used for. Ditto Spirits and Grimoires. As you explore the mythic side of the game, you can add HQ2 style feats to the "cult" descriptions (such as they aren't *really* cults in the HQ1 sense in the first place...).

The various occupation and homeland keywords can usually be used as-is (whether you're a "lister" or a "non-lister"). While they aren't in pure text form, the information presented can provide a good idea of what the stereotype is.

Background, personality and plot information is still valid and can be used unchanged, of course.

RR