Re: Blood Over Gold and HQ2

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:28:25 -0800

Hal

> it looks like the stat blocks in Blood Over Gold will work with
>HQ2, but it's early going. Does anyone know where the
>incompatibilities are and have suggested fixes?

Stats aren't terribly useful for NPCs. (And HQ2 gives you a mechanism so that you're not stuck using broken stats.)

Roderick's answer is excellent. Use stats as guidance to making the NPC a hard or easy challenge, within the context of your story. And to help narrate the ways that a contest would play out.

Don't try to use the numbers as is, because they almost certainly don't scale to your game (this was a problem in all our HQ1 campaigns).

(wishing I could find my copy so I could give a more concrete example...)

LC

>The only thing that could be a problem is Magic, really, since we don't
>know how it works anymore

I disagree. Magic is something used to accomplish (or block) goals within the context of a story. Give it a rating and describe stuff happening. What Otherworld it comes from or whether it's attached to this rune or that rune is almost never of interest to the characters involved in magic use!

--

David Dunham