Re: Keywords only, or additional list of abilities?

From: Continuum <Continuum2008_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:51:53 -0000

As someone who has ran a lot of HeroQuest games for new people at conventions I haven't had any difficulty explaining any setting or keyword to the players.

I many ways I find it easier with players new to the setting or not overly familiar with it. All you have to do is cover the basics and follow K.I.S.S.*

Lunar Empire = worship Red Moon Goddess, wear red a lot with silver scimitars and are considered evil by all** Orlanthi [though they occupy our lands so don't upset too much!].

I have heard horror stories about some players not being able to make the connection between the Lunar Empire and the guys they just met that wore red cloaks.

I also use simple terms like clan lands, warband, warrior, witch, hunter, priest, etc. so not to add to the confusion.

In some games I have players making their own characters within 20 minutes of the start [adding to them for the rest of the session] then having epic games within the rest of the three hours or so of playing. That char-gen covers explaining how magic and worship works as well as the HeroQuest rules work. This is often touched on again during play as such things are encountered.

I make a point of making sure that each deity name is explained and their area of influence is described. I also make sure that the scenario they are playing only has one or two major Gloranthan themes. If Lunars are not involved in this scenario for example, I make a point of not including them in my briefing.

What are the sticking points you get into trouble with?

Darran