Re: Re: Using HQ2 for Exalted?

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 10:22:01 +0000

Great,

Any ideas about the great curse. This is fundamental to the setting. I've thought about having it as a starting flaw at the characters highest skill (as usual). It can't be bought off and triggers when the character fails in something eg Total defeat.

On 25 Dec 2009, at 09:07, andrew.d.scott_at_... wrote:
> charm prereqs because I can't see what adding them would bring to the game.

I'd keep them as it gives the impression of progression, but I might be wrong. But I do see your point. Actually, just a list of charm names might be the way forward. Progression is obviously by increasing skills.

> Characters begin play with two free umbrella keywords. The first describes exaltation type and contains three abilities:
>
> 1)Solar Exalt – [Anima Banner (by caste), Exemplar, Supernaturally Robust]

Although under HQ2 those abilities could just be considered part of the umbrella keyword. I envisage a kind of 100 word description of the overall exalted type.

> The second is Caste, and contains five keyword abilities which correspond with the caste abilities presented in the Exalted rulebook. The player may swap up to two of their abilities for those claimed by other castes. A Dawn Caste character with a single swap would look something like this:
>
> 2)Dawn Caste – [Archery, Martial Arts, Melee, Stealth, War]
>
> The five abilities contained in the caste are nested umbrella keywords representing supernatural levels of skill and general charm packages. In contests with non-supernatural abilities they gain a +3 specificity bonus, but only if the player describes the essence fuelled effect. Once chosen the five abilities are fixed. The only way to gain magical might in other abilities is by purchasing individual charms (see below).

Personally I wouldn't differentiate between non-supernatural and supernatural at this stage. That's all covered by the +6/-3 bonuses in HQ2. Exalted will also have more masteries,

> Once caste and abilities have been selected the player picks three caste ability charms. Charms can be self-penned or taken from the Exalted books but their effects *must* derive from the relevant ability keyword.
>
> So our Dawn Caste example now looks like this:
>
> Solar Exalt - [Dawn Anima Banner, Exemplar, Supernaturally Robust]
>
> Dawn Caste - [Archery (Rain of Feathered Death) Martial Arts, Melee (Heavenly Guardian Defence, Hungry Tiger Technique) Stealth, War]
>
> In contests with non-supernatural abilities charms gain a +6 bonus. In contest with general supernatural abilities (e.g Hungry Tiger vs. Melee) they gain a +3 bonus. Charms can only be applied to contests where their effects would specifically apply. In the Hungry Tiger example the player would need to be trying to cause physical damage with a melee weapon to make use of the charm.

I think this is covered by the general vs specific ability rolls in HQ2.

> Charms that do not derive from caste ability keywords can be purchased as individual abilities during character creation or subsequently with hero points. In contests they function in the same way as caste abilities (+3/0/-3, depending on the opposition) albeit of much narrower scope.

What about making them buy the keyword first? Thus getting rid of any complications of rules. I'm keeping the different xp costs for caste and non-caste abilities.

> Charms within the same ability can be used to augment one another as combos.

How about combos as just well described mixtures of charms at the lowest rating of the group used?

> Augments in HQ2: Exalted are of the fixed value type.

I only use this approach in my games. Speeds things up.

For others interested in Exalted, but without rules sets etc, you can download a free introductory adventure with the basics and characters from White Wolf's site in the quickstart section:

http://www.white-wolf.com/downloads.php?category_id=20

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.