Re: Using HQ2 for Exalted - Perfects and Limit

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:13:57 +0000

Perfects fall into two types, perfect attacks or perfect defences (not just combat). A perfect attack is always trumped by a perfect defence (Exalted p179). They are limited in their use by virtues. So we have to see how HQ2 allows us to use a perfect and at the same time limit it in some way.

In a simple contest this is easy and is covered by automatic success on HQ p24-25.

In exalted a perfect always allows a total victory at what is being attempted, that time. So in an extended contest the player can still roll, but the minimum outcome for them should be a success and no points awarded against the user.

The only remaining thing is to limit their use. Why, because then they can be used all the time. In exalted, you run out of motes. Your virtues only limit how you can use your perfect and I think one of the four flaws should still be picked like in Exalted. As for running out of motes, well we've chucked that out so another limit is needed.

Linking perfect to limit fits in my mind. On the Exalted forum there was a discussion as to how Exalts avoided the effects of Primordial sorcery, when they had none of their own at the time. The answer was perfects. The great curse also limiting perfects to a small extent fits in my mind.

Every time a perfect is used, a point of limit is gained (or perhaps 3 or 5).

Limit as a heroquest attribute also has some interesting points. At 1W you can't fumble. at 1W2 you can't fail. So at 1W2 (41) you automatically go into limit break.