Re: Dungeon Bashing with HQ2?

From: andrew.d.scott_at_...
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:23:23 -0000

Thanks for the advice. It's aligns nicely with some of the ideas I've been pondering.

The encounter bandolier is something that already occured. I envisaged it as two circles at either end of a page, one representing the entrance and its gatekeeper and the other the final confrontation (escape, defeating the nameless evil or whatever other goal might be in play). Between the two are a cluster of other circles, each representing an encounter of a set difficulty that occurs within an environmentally distinct portion of the dungeon - the forgotten tombs, the gaol, the great bridge and so on. As the characters progress from circle to circle the narrator joins the cluster together using the pass/fail arrow notation, allowing it to guide him to the next appropriate challenge. Simply put the map adapts itself to story demands rather than existing as a preset configuration.

On the horror angle: I've always prefrreed dungeons as Underworlds over subterranean military installations. Whatever I end up writing will emphasise the sense of gnawing dread that attends would likely such an experience. I'm using the anglo-american horror 'The Descent' as toal inspiration for some of it, shored up with the grandiose, echoing dereliction of Moria.

I also think you raise an important point on establishing goals within the environment. It's something I'll return to later.