Re: What genres and settings are you planning for HeroQuest?

From: Ben <zomben_at_...>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:03:53 -0000

I've got a couple of ideas at the moment:

1 - "Tooth and Claw" is a campaign where the PCs are all members of a wolf pack in the Great Plains of the US, c. early 1800's or so. They've been displaced from their lands, and are searching for new territories. "Watership Down meets Never Cry Wolf" is my pitch. It's also going to have a bit of a supernatural element to it, with an animist magic system based on "Hunts" (ceremonial quest magic) and "Howls" (spirit songs).

2 - "Mist and Sea": Gloranthan campaign set in Seshnela, inspired by the 'feel' of the Earthsea books. This campaign will be about travelling the islands of the shattered kingdom, looking for personal enlightenment, rather than temporal power. However, I may jettison the Gloranthan setting entirely for this, and do something custom just for it.

3 - "Legacy of Bard": a Middle-earth campaign, in which the descendants of King Bard of Dale are afflicted with greed and madness, and the PCs have to set things right in the shadow of the encroaching War of the Ring.