Re: Re: Question about play

From: Lev Lafayette <lev_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:18:46 +1000

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 08:39 +0200, Manuel MOLINIER wrote:
> I think that to make it click with HQ2 one solution can be to forget any
> other RPG you've played (in terms of rules) and think of yourself as a book
> writer or a movie/tv show director. Try to think of how you would run your
> favorite movie or TV show in HQ2.
>
> What decide of the time spent on a challenge is not the number of HP of the
> monster but the emotional interest of the scene and the time you wish to
> allocate to it.

Of course, for purposes of maintaining a sense of plausibility a match between the apparent difficulty of the challenge and the intensity of the scene should be maintained, in my opinion.

> You are to decide if you want to resolve something in 1 action or attach
> more importance to it. In Conan or in SW or others the director decide that
> climbing the stair meeting guards /reaching the spaceship with Storm
> troopers will take only a few minutes of the movie time. You roll a simple
> contest and depending on the level of success/failure you describe the run
> with some exchanged blows, or the capture of the characters and you move to
> the next scene.

With the caveat that even simply contests can suddenly - and surprisingly because this is improvised - become important due to a total defeat, for example.

All the best,