Fyrds, Shieldwalls, etc.

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:02:01 -0500

Fyrd Combat and Shieldwall Fighting should be considered techniques governed by Mass Combat (aka Battle) ability, much as Spear-and-Shield Combat and Knife Fighting are techniques of Close Combat. I think the improvisational penalty for using Mass Combat techniques outside one's cultural experience should be sizable (if the technique is not patently impossible by virtue of the irregularity of the troops, etc.), although a sufficiently skilled commander may be able to overcome it. This is *heroic* Mass Combat, after all.

Mass Combat techniques should enhance a unit's regular Close Combat techniques in a field battle, thus troops disciplined in formation fighting would gain an Edge or Augment which improves their chances of routing or destroying enemy units they encounter. Sounds simple enough to me. Each Mass Combat technique could be assigned attack and defense ranks, a la weapon and armor ranks, to provide some realism and detail for those so inclined. Perhaps there needs be a Mass Combat development project, to flesh things out a bit more.

Thoughts? Opinions?

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and