Re: Re: Animist

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 16:04:43 +0100 (BST)

>>From: David Cake <dave_at_...>

And FWIW, anyone give me an explanation of why they get that stretch/-6? It does seem a bit crippling that spirit magic are always trying to overcome obstacles at -6 compared to equivalent divine/sorcery magic users. Unless they intention is that spirit magic users are usually using their charms in 1-use mode in any significant altercation (which also seems a bit harsh compared to other systems, but less so).

I think that this is mainly to show the progression of the ananmist in his control of spirits. At the worshiper level the can't use the spirits actively, at the spirit society level they can use them actively but at a penalty, at the shaman level there is no penalty to spirit use. A similar progression is also true for releasing spirits: worshiper - not possible, society - possible, no penalty, shaman - possible bonus +9.

(In either case, it sounds like a shaman who wants to not have their arse regularly handed to them in a combat would be wise to consider investing in some abilities besides charms, such as Followers/Allies)

The shaman doesn't have the stretch penalty for using spirits. They also get a +9 bonus when they release spirits so are more powerful than other spirit society members.

Cheers
Gavain