Re: Re: Interesting post on linking HQ advancement to values

From: Paolo Guccione <p.guccione_at_...>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 01:54:28 +0100

Il 05/12/2010 18:43, ian_hammond_cooper ha scritto:

> The Big Model is a model, and like all models, is a flawed version of
> the real. The break point between Right To Dream or Simulationism and
> Narrativism always seems to be one of those points where the model
> gets most stressed. The fact that Hero Wars includes an explicit
> premise - the Hero Wars and particularly the idea that 'The Old World
> is Over...' and the question of how you make the new is what led Ron
> Edwards to see it as intrinsically narrativist. Whereas 'emulating
> Greg's stories', Robin's expressed goal for HW, is seen as
> simulationist. So confusion between author and critic already.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Ian. Re-reading Ron Edwards' praise of Hero Wars back in the days (I have just come back from a gaming day and dinner with Forgite zealots, so I have a perfect idea of what "praise" may mean for Edwards' followers) I am convinced that there was a basic misunderstanding between "author and critic", as you say.

> Given that the model is a tool and that it ends up lumping The Dying
> Earth, HeroQuest 2 and MRQ2 into the same bucket, I think it is too
> broken to be useful in the long run.

I share this view with you - it is perfectly clear what "Simulationism" is in the Big Model, but the concept is so broad that it ends up including everyone and its dog. Basically, everything outside of a well-defined circle of "Story Now" games is Simulationist. I find it rather confusing.