Re: "Meaning" and "Personality Traits" for other runes...

From: David Scott <sciencefish_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:38:09 +0100

Hi

On 30 Jun 2012, at 18:28, Tim wrote:

> Still prepared to hear answers on the following though
>
> > Odayla (bear)
> > Meaning: Bear
> > Personality Traits: Anti-social, solitary

You can find the Odayla rune in the Sartar Companion, Page 279

> > Spirit
> > Meaning: Discorporate beings
> > Personality Traits: Disconnected, "Crazy"

> > The Core Rulebook lists the Plant rune with no personality traits -
> > not a common Orlanthi rune, but I can see someone playing a farmer might think this a useful rune?

I don't think form runes give traits - Beast, Man, Plant, Spirit although the sub-forms should - Horse, Bear, etc.

Also as an implication of the Beast rune in S:KoH, page 70: "when a non-beast has this rune, it means that they can potentially take the form of a beast." I would apply the spirit of that to the other form runes:

those with the Beast rune can potentially take beast form. those with the Man rune can potentially take man form. those with the Plant rune can potentially take plant form. those with the Spirit rune can potentially take spirit form.

A farmer could then hide himself as a plant or be "elf like"...

> The Fate rune, as distinct from the Luck rune, and whether Magic is a Rare rune, almost redundant (S:KoH p 71) or a common orlanthi rune (S:Koh p22)

I don't think Luck, Fate or Magic give traits either. In my games there are always players who take them. (currently a spirit-talker who has the Magic rune, and a warrior with the Luck rune). They can't normally find any cults who have these runes unless they come up with a Hero cult, so they are always used for augmenting. I actually present them to my players as this - the great three augmenters. This shapes how characters behave more than giving them traits. Luck rune heroes start doing risky stuff as they know they can probably get away with it on a good augment, same with Fate - heroes should obviously succeed in the tasks they apply themselves to. As for Magic, they get tied up doing rituals to deepen their connection with what they are planning to do. Makes for good gaming IMO.

You can find the references to the runes on the Glorantha Core font page at Moon Design: http://moondesignpublications.com/page/glorantha-core-rune-font I tried to note all of the major references in one place.

David

David Scott. Mac & PC Computer Support.
30 Alfred Road, Acton, W3 6LH.
020-8150-9716 / 07956-589433