Re: Flat Conflicts - Do They Exist?

From: Bo <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:29:47 -0700

On 8/22/2012 8:59 AM, Nick Eden wrote:
> People are used to crunchy
> bits of system giving their games flavour, and with HQ2 especially,
> that's not there.

Interestingly, I have been doing work to incorporate the parts of HQ2 I love with RQ/BRP. I know all the arguments this brings out, but it isn't important if you like the idea, only that my players and I do.

The reason is one version of the "flatness" argument: simulationism. I like the crunchy bits in combat. I think the mechanics of some systems make combat feel "real" to me. HQ2 just seems like dice rolling. I know the "it the GMs responsibility" line of thinking. But this is sometimes as valid as when you were a kid and the answer to "Why?" was "Because I said so." Not satisfying at all.

The "flatness" felt in the system is because RAW is flat as hell. You can add spice to it by description, but when "Pencil-Wielding Nerd" is as valuable in combat as "Blackdragon Clan Ninja" there is a real sense of satire. And the rules rely on interpretation of the group to give the situation validity. I have had several dead ends come out of trying to get people interested in the system because the players don't want to deal with that much work.

Some players are really into the control they have over the game from HQ2, but not everyone likes the same things, nor is in the same place. Meh.

The best thing to do to remove the flatness is to remove the flatness. (Obvious, ain't i?) Make sure the "Pencil-Wielding Nerd" is at -6 or -9 against the "Blackdragon Clan Ninja" in pysical conflict and reverse it when they start arguing about who has the better weapons.

Give the powerful NPCs fun advantages that can be used against them if the PCs can figure it out.

In short, make it about the story.

And, in all of this, make all combats like this extended contests. Maybe even split the party up into groups vs. groups and let the combat be a multi-faced extended contest. And, (this is going to hit people the wrong way) cheat. Don't make it 14+int... make it 14+int+1D10-1D10 if you want to. Or 14+int+the hour the combat starts. What ever. Take the flat progression out of it and make it unpredictable. It is that predictability (whether seen in the rules or from experiencing the rules in work) that creates the flatness in the first place. Remove it and the flatness is gone.

To that end, the GM and the Players are both guilty of ruining the game if they allow the rules of HQ2 (or any other system) to hurt the play of the game. Flatness is exactly the harm the rules cause to the game.

Rules need to be written for a system. And they serve only one purpose: learn this now and you will have a great time gaming. The only purpose for the rules is to show the GM how he needs to break them for him to have a great game system. Why not write that into the rules? Because what I call the great system you call a load of crap. I break the rules I don't like and you break the rules you don't like. Then we both love the system.

And remember, every good RPG ever made has a "rule 1" of some kind: that being ignore any rule you don't like/make the game your own/these are just guidelines. Seems this is also the first rule to be lost.

Long ramble for me. Sorry! LOL Not really.

Bo
The Gaming Resource <http://www.the-gaming-resource.com/>