[RULES] Warhammer 40K RPG Dark Heresy

From: GARY <furashgary_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 17:01:03 -0000

This is my first attempt to use HeroQuest-RPG instead of HeroQuest-Rules for a generic question (since the volume here is much higher and the rules are still generically applicable).

Given the HeroQuest II approach to Glorantha, I wonder if the right way to setup a conversion of the excellent Dark Heresy Warhammer 40K RPG would be to "restrict" (to insure things have a particular flavor) to starting by buying:

  1. a homeworld/cultural keyword (e.g., "Void Ship Born," "Noble House," "Factory World"). e.g., the Void Ship born are very comfortable doing things in zero G, can be stressed out by crowds/people more easily, etc.
  2. an occupation keyword (tech-priest, ecclesiastical-preist, sanctioned imperial psycher, navigator, imperial guardsman, mutant, etc.)

etc.

So, given the above:
1. is that a reasonable approach?
2. given that in the fiction characters with the same occupation can have very different levels of skill (e.g., one "Interrogator" can be a master psychic and another without psychic gifts at all); how should I approach using keywords (bundle that is raised separately). The umbrella method seems weird to me, but that might be that I just don't understand it.

Thank you for your time and assistance