Uleria

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:55:38 +0200

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, Jeff wrote:

> I think that the love and community functions that Uleria provides for
> (for example) the Dara Happans is taken over by the more communal and
> family oriented Ernalda cults.

I don't see how the Dara Happans could use Uleria for this, because they view her as tainted. Uleria was corrupted, love turned to lust. The purity of Yelm won't tolerate this. I don't think that the lunars have much use for her either. Although, she must provide easy access to truly ancient myths.

> Much of this info is contained in Thunder Rebels. The love present

I have eaten my fingers to the bone already.

> I am not sure how much respect the Celestial Court gets from the Storm
> Tribe as they were the powers that tried to keep the world stifled

KoS mentions that "they were the first, source of the all things were to follow". This seems to indicate that there is a mythic structure that tells that love is from Uleria, so basicly Orlanth and Ernalda are joined by the power of Uleria (love/fertility). The text also tells about the respect that the Orlanthi give to the Elder Gods, but I don't think that it is relevant to Uleria, because she is still living.

If Uleria is the source and she is nothing but lust, then all love would only be carnal and Ernalda wouldn't be any different from Orlanths other mistresses.

I'd be happy to continue this in the digest.

Olli Kantola

--
It's lovely to watch colorful shadows in the planets of the eternal light.
        -The Master