Reputation and Mass Combat

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:31:11 -0500

Jeff Kyer wrote:

>Reptuation has been suggested as an optional rules
>set on the HW-rules list some time ago.

There was not much of anything on the topic which could be dredged up in the archives, alas, but I did search under something silly like "Reputation". God/dess knows where that got me. :)

>Usually the people of your clan will all be aware of
>your qualities -- you grew up there and they know you
>well.

Or think they know you. People rarely know each other so thoroughly, and often hold opinions which may not be wholly deserved. Having deeds wrongly ascribed to you, or which people have blown out of proportion, is all too common even among close kin. I *want* players to ascribe past deeds (true or not) to their heroes, or at least the general tenor of those deeds.

Plain and simple, people are often believed to possess traits which they in fact do not. The aim of my Reputation guidelines is to provide for exactly that situation. Any hero who has a particular trait *will* be know for it; my intention is to allow heroes to have a Reputation for which they do *not* have a trait, or which is the opposite of a trait they possess.

>It drops off according to distance/social organization.
>Tribe --> Confederacy --> Kingdom --> Region

You neglected to mention Household, Stead and Clan. For me, the context of the Reputation in the hero's narrative determines its scope; it does not have to be limited to local environs.

>Reputations are founded on deeds and events important
>enough to be noticed by the entire [social unit].

Important, or embarassing. Many adults find it difficult at best to live down childhood

>You can really have only *one* reputation amongst a
>particular group of people.

[Emphasis mine]

Not in the least bit true. People form and hold several opinions about one another. Example:

These are fairly petty reputations, but could be important in a clan-oriented campaign. As a hero's Relationship rating lacks the flavor which makes for memorable character interactions, I tend to err on the side of multi-faceted Reputations.

>Good examples of reputations causing problems. You
>forgot groupies though... =)

Attracting followers is already covered somewhat in the HERO WARS rules, and I saw no reason for any additional comments. Nuisance followers are of course random personal crises, as per my previous post. :)

>Just some comments from things that had been posted
>before.

I would be curious to see those prior posts, especially as you apparently recommended one of them for Best HERO WARS House Rules. Paul Rocchi does not subscribe to these lists, however, else I would ask him directly.

Jeff Kyer again:

>I believe that mass combat is being worked on...

Let us hope that whomever does them keeps them simple enough for those without a background in Ancient and Medieval History, yet colorful enough to engage those who do.

>I think some early rules were submitted on the HW-
>Rules list by Brian Laxon but it was some time ago.

I will see if I can scare them up. The search engine is limited in its capability, but I can probably track them down using Brian's name.

>All very reasonable -- its pretty much how I would
>use the material.

I am a firm believer in keeping it simple and flexible. HERO WARS can be adapted to a *wide* spectrum of playing styles, and well it should. Glorantha is a pretty diverse place in which to set a campaign.

>Should be on the rules list though?

You are the Moderator, although I disagree. Mass Combat will be vital, especially as the Hero Wars progress. Anyone running an Orlanthi campaign will want guidelines beyond those existing few in HERO WARS, as raiding is quintessenial to the culture. And for world-shaking campaigns like Martin Laurie's "Gwandor Saga", set-piece field battles are fairly common.

If nothing else, players and gamemasters may want something akin to PENDRAGON's Battle system in order to intergrate their heroes into the Big Picture. I see that as having everything to do with using HERO WARS to play in Glorantha.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and