Re: Re: Bloodlines

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:19:16 -0500

Charles Corrigan wrote:

> hopefully this will not read obnoxiously - I am putting forward my
> reading of the text.

No worries, Charles. You make some very good points. I may have to do some re-reading of TR myself (or wait for the inevitable clarification). =)

> > > - be named after a still living leader,
> > Named after a common ancestor
> page 26 - the spakeman is the ancestor and he is alive. Also, a
> bloodline may have as few as 30 adults - not enough to be a permanent
> descent line. Finally, mention of bloodlines splitting off.

Um, I don't have it handy -- but I think that there is the 'oldest person' being inmportant to a bloodline but I got the impression that that founder was contacted on Ancestor's Day?

> Hmm... on further reading it does appear that there is a shrine to
> the founder and it seems unlikely to me that there would be a shrine
> to a living person. Food for thought.

VERY unlikely! Unless they were a Hero. Being alive and worshipped is one of the critera for being a Hero. (which means that Celine Dion is probably going to be very powerful after her death)

> > > - be a legal rather than a magical entity (i.e. no wyter though
> > Legal AND magical entity. They are about the smallest level one can
> > get an _effective_ wyter at.
> page 64 - a Heortling usually contributes to 3 wyters, none of which
> is the bloodline though one could be a stead (as it's a functional
> farming organisation).

True enough. But I think that the Bloodline _is_ important -- otherwise where does the family relationship go? Its much more prevalant than 'relationship: stead'

However, all through the legal section, it foucuses on a bloodline being responsible for all its members.

> > Clans can be very short lived.
> page 21 "the largest permanent Heortling organisation" and 22 - "the
> fundamental, enduring unit of Heortling society"

Hmm. Food for thought!

My view on the clans could be focused at entirely the wrong level which is definitely "My bad." But I've always found that families endure somehow even if the clan is destroyed -- by the 1621's I think there's a LOT of refugee bloodlines out there. I suppose my view is coloured by a game back in the early 90's where we were all that remained of a bloodline and were trying to re-establish ourselves...

Jeff