Re: Bloodlines

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:07:31 -0000

All IMO:

Family: Your household or hearth ave. 10-15 adults. Not a legal entity. May change as you change household.

Bloodline: Smallest legal entity of responsibility, for payment of wergild (reciept of wergild), fines, support of the destitute etc. Closest historical model - celtic derhfine(sp?). A patriachal structure based on economics, particularly ownership of tools, and livestock. Generally a bloodline descends from the same greatgrandfather  (or his brothers) (or grandfather depending on the size of the bloodline). A bloodline may be all the households in one stead (anywhere from 13 to 180), occupy two or more steads, or for small bloodlines share a stead. It is an economic and legal unit.

Clan: Basic social unit. Note conflict within clans = kinstrife which is forbidden. If bloodlines start to become social entities, and cause divisions then clans divide. This is how Sartar was initially settled, bloodlines which refused to support the Pharoah split off.

But I'm getting dangerously GD here so I better stop...

Ian