Re: Heorling Magic

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:32:49 -0500

Charles Corrigan wrote:

> Two questions about Heortling Magic
>
> 1 - do Heortling children learn _any_ magic before initiation? If
> so, what happens to that magic after initiation?

check the TR writeup? I think it mentions that until initiation as communal worshippers children are _specifically_ NOT taught any magic.

> 2 - In mainstream Orlanth or Ernaldan rituals, do particicipants who
> are able augment the ritual with an appropriate affinity rather
> than "just" give community support?

Not really -- otherwise it would become ludicrous pretty quickly. But I do allow heroes to agument the celebrant but I a) let the heroes figure out how and b) make sure it doesn't make the ritual into a 'turkey shoot' by overwhelming the difficulty.

Remember, you can only augment a mundane skill (mythology of x) with one other mundane skill. Though I think that using Hunting to get a perfect sacrifice or wealth to provide the exact items required is fine. Augmenting with affinities is good -- though again, one cannot dupilicate the featss. The Knowing God can enhance the celebrant's memory (Knowledge Affinity) and the Speaking God can make sure all the listeners hear it in the 'special way' (Communication Affinity)

But its easy to let things get out of hand.

Jeff