Re: Praxian distress

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:03:33 -0800

> Orlanth is a major god, with many aspects and subcults.
>
> Praxians have no gods, but spirits/ancestors. Their greatest spirit is
dead (Genert). Their greater heroes are dead (Tada/Jaldon) and defeated by theri enemies. Their current greater spirit's father (Storm Bull) is wounded. Their current greater spirit (Waha) was a demigod in RQ terms, so absolutely less-powerful than a god, let alone a Great God.
> Their land is blasted and they have been recently defeated by the Lunars.
>
> They should be VERY angry, depressed, magically-weak, pessimistic and
hungry, as a consequence of the above. They should be on the verge of extinction, IMO. Yet, it looks as though one of the upsurging of the HW (Argrath WhiteBull and Argrath Sharpsword or the same guy) collected the first morcel of his power in Prax, from the Praxian nomads. How is this possible? Is this another old-conception construct that no longer can work?
> I suppose Prax is needing an urgent escamotage to avoid meeting HW
extinction both in Glorantha and in our game.
> Do you agree?

The Animal nomads live on the fringe of the good land - their idea of paradise is Prax! The rest of their world isn't as forgiving as the well-watered plains of Prax. Right now the Antelopes have managed to boot out their main enemies (with the help of the Lunars) and are living "high off the hog".

Their "religion" *is* as decimated as the land they live in, and the only reason they survive is that they can retreat from contact with more "robust" cultures by heading into the wastes. However, the Wastes are vast, and who knows what is out there? The Praxians have had centuries to discover the secrets of the land, and have honed their combat skills fightoing the chaos that seems to pervade the wastes. I wouldn't want to bet that they'll be destroyed any time soon - there may be hordes of riders out in the wastes waiting for Jaldon to lead them through Dragon Pass and into the rest of the world, or a leader of Sheng Seleris's abilities building up his own army to lead against Kralorela.

> Well, I am over. Sorry for this volley of posting, but I hope you
coprehend that indigestion is a bad customer.

No proble from me, it's three good ideas/threads.

RR