RE: Re: Lunar Travel Agency

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:52:33 -0000

> And if any Empire in Glorantha can economically justify such
> a service it is the Lunars. It is just like us Westerners
> going up into the hills of Thailand to live with the Hill
> tribes for a couple of days or a week. A <sarcasm on> fun
> excursion into poverty and exploitation and then back to our
> airconditioned hotel with all the creature comforts of home
> where we can forget about them <sarcasm off>.

Pilgrimages are surprisingly common in the european middle ages, and are kinda like the equivalent of tourism. The Romans also travelled fair distances in order to take in the local colour - I believe Bath/Aqua Sulis had some tourist traffic. Given the Lunars self-consciously religious exploratory ideal, and the "we are all us" trope, perhaps reliogious/cult tourism would be a way to approach it? Aspirant lunars expanding their horizons, wealthy citizens with too much time on their hands, seven mothers types seeing the breadth of foreign faiths, and spys or messengers exploiting these expeditions as cover. The Ibex society would certainly interact with this sort of group.