Re: Children's magic

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:12:28 -0000

I'd say "sort of." Remember that in Hero Wars magic doesn't come from within you, magic is based on having some sort of connection with the other side. Adults can do their best to make sure that children don't have a chance to make that connection with the other side.

Having said that, children may not have as much knowledge as their elders, but any parent can tell you that doesn't make them any less bright, and in many ways makes them all the more curious and imaginative--they don't "know" how the world works, so they feel free to dream up all sorts of things. I would imagine that children would try and do magic by all sorts of methods. Most of it wouldn't really work, but there are powers floating around the material world and sometimes they may be able to connect with those for better or for ill. This could vary from spirits to finding minor "magic items," to figuring out the special properties of certain plants to finding a weak spot and actually wandering into the other side.

So, adults can make sure that children don't get a formal connection to the other side, so they can stop them from getting reliable, reusable,  magic. I doubt they can stop some kids from stumbling upon the magic that is the world around them, and finding ways to take advantage of it.

All just IMO.

--Bryan