Re: Children's magic

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:23:00 -0000

Wulf wrote:

>And ANYONE can contact some sorts of Animistic being - like nymphs,
>you just walk up & say 'hello'.

All IMO:

But natural forces:the land, streams, winds, etc are most commonly daimons in Heortling lands, not spirits. So children will 'contact' theistic entities, as opposed to animist ones, simply by living in the world. However I don't think they give them worship, thought the clan may as part of its communal worship.

I suspect the issue here is that magic like weapons, or sex, is potentially dangerous and must be used with responsibility and respect. Thus it is is for adults, not children. Children will of course be learning from the adults around what responsible behaviour is, their play will probably include pretend rituals, just as it will wooden swords, cut-down tools etc. But without understanding the inner secrets of the religion they cannot use the magic any more than a forigner who has not been initiated into the secrets could.

They will have the chance to prove they are adults and learn the inner secrets at initation.

Ian

Ian