Re :Initiation

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:45:23 +1100

Bryan:

> On a semi-related topic, boys who go through initiation together
> will, I'm sure, tend to have a common bond. I'm sure that the
> heortlings term or phrase for these blocks or groups of boys.

"Rostalos! Stop harshaxing your cousin! You must support each other, for one day you will be age mates in initiation!" (TR26).

'Age mates' isn't particularly sexy, can anyone come up with a more colourful description? In the most general terms you could use 'kaylings' (fellow cult members, those who share your gnosis), which is also a bit of a bucket term for anyone who is important but not kin (though most initiation age mates will be kin). 'Kin and kaylings' are the only people who count.

Perhaps the tattoo that age mates receive on becoming adult (TR 23) will vary slightly with each initiation, or a second unique tattoo is also carved, providing a visual marker for age mates - "we of the Lusty Alynx initiation", "We stood against the Darkness - Three Head Spears rule!", or "We survived IFoughtWeWon and all we got was this lousy Ribboned Kitten tat."

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                   John Hughes

His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans -- and he summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, "You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink."

-Terry Pratchett, Small Gods.