RQ, HW

From: David Ford <diadochi_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:37:00 +0000

I am glad some people have spoken up in defence of RuneQuest.

HeroWars has many great ideas, but I am not convinced by the modern versions of Glorantha with her thousands of deities is better than in the days of Cults of Prax, when a dozen cults was enough. To be honest I was never comfortable with the idea of different aspects of the same god, and felt things went downhill (FOR ME) when the Glorious Reascent of Yelm was written.

When it comes to HeroWars I do not like the strict separation of the four magic/belief systems, which feels 'gamey' and forced to me. However I do like the rules regarding relationships and reputations.

I believe the combination Avalon Hill and RuneQuest3 and the mystery of trying to figure out Heroquesting killed off RuneQuest.

I liked Greg's earilier work better than his later work. RuneQuest and the Glorantha of that era was fun and imaginative, now it seems pretentious and overly serious.

Still, HeroWars is a fascinating new system based on a far more detailed and adult Glorantha. The strength of this list shows how many admirers it has.

Opinions of one RQ grogard.