Re: Re: Children's magic

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:19:42 +0100

...Then there are those few orlanthi who have a natural flying ability. That's kind of magical. I suppose it's very rare, though.

Bryan Thexton:
>So you are going
>to have a whole lot of 16, 17, 18, even 19 year old "children" being
>told they can't take part in the really important stuff (i.e. magic),
>can't join the fyrd, can't formally start a profession, can't court a
>girl, and incidently can't have sex.

My reading of TR p.58 is that after the adulthood rites you can do all of these things except the magic. You have to wait another two years for that. Presumably the "new adults" are going through an apprenticehood in their profession during this time - they won't be trusted with important tasks until they have the magic to back it up with.

Mind you, I'm not really clear on what the difference between year one and year two of the 'probationary period' is - first year is "instruction on worship", second is "learning about a deity". Sounds like a very slight change of emphasis to me.

BTW, what's the _reason_ for not initiating boys every year? Is there so little work to do that the heortlings can afford to have kids in their late teens remaining outside the workforce? Is it perhaps that they want as large groups as possible going through the male bonding that Bryan suggests?

Don't let THEM
immanentize
the Eschaton