Re: Children's magic

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:19:36 -0000

And its anyone's guess when it starts to happen =) A flying diapered Vanganth-spawn zipping around the stead is... odd.

(What's that Yinkin? Timmy's been kidnapped by Wind-children? Again?)

> My reading of TR p.58 is that after the adulthood rites you can do
all of
> these things except the magic. You have to wait another two years
for
> that. Presumably the "new adults" are going through an
apprenticehood in
> their profession during this time - they won't be trusted with
important
> tasks until they have the magic to back it up with.

Don't they become communal worshippers during that first year?

> Mind you, I'm not really clear on what the difference between year
one
> and year two of the 'probationary period' is - first year is
"instruction
> on worship", second is "learning about a deity". Sounds like a very
> slight change of emphasis to me.

During the second you've started to become an initiate to the deity who calls to you. And leanring the myths and secrets (small s) that will let you survive the initiation experience.

> BTW, what's the _reason_ for not initiating boys every year? Is
there so
> little work to do that the heortlings can afford to have kids in
their
> late teens remaining outside the workforce? Is it perhaps that they
want
> as large groups as possible going through the male bonding that
Bryan
> suggests?

The boy's initiation is apparently quite _dangerous_ and requires some pretty high end rituals to bring off without alot of grief The Summons of Evil is a part of the initiation process, IIRC. I would suspect that its done as seldom as possible or perhaps several clans (like a tribe) might do the initiations as a group.

Jeff