Re: Praxian distress

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:37:03 -0500

Gianfranco Geroldi wrote:

> > With the numerous great spirits they are able to call upon (Oakfed,
> > Foundchild, Thunder bird, Lightning boy etc), I don't think their
> > magic is less varied than the Orlanthi.
>
> Still, Waha is the greater, or you don't see a hierarchy here?

I do not. I see a series of great spirits -- all of whom provide a wide array of magical abilties and talents to those who serve them.

A nomad can have a rather nasty array of things to toss at a rude stranger. Theists are actually more limited in their variety of magical nastyness since they are limited to affinties (but, that being said, an affinity is easier to raise than a series of stand-alone magical talents.

> Do you think that Waha is also a "communication spirit", BTW?
> I mean, which tradition do the trading nomads follow, in path?
> No more Issaries and no Zola Feli (except for those venturing in the
> valley).

Waha is not a 'communication spirit' He's the patriarch and unfier of the rag-tag tough-as-nails survivors of the Gods War.

> > >Their land is blasted and they have been recently defeated by the
> Lunars.
> >
> > The lunars have only been able to win one battle (and that was
> > the second one they fought). They cannot force the Praxians to
> > stop raiding or pay taxes by a long shot.
>
> But their magic was absolutely stronger than the Praxian's.

In one place. At one time. What of supply lines? What of settlers stuck on isolated farms in the ZF Valley? I would remind you of the French visiting Moscow...

Oh no, the nomads are perfectly adapted for their territory. And since that area was Gernert's Garden, the vast majority of any magical resources are going to be Animist in nature. Probably quite hostile to most of the Lunars. While the Lunars may include animist magicians among their ranks, it is hardly the mainstay of their operations.

> > The lunars are overextended in Pavis and they can't defend it
> properly
> > against a determined nomadic assault.
>
> I agree, here. IMG, the Lunars are gradually retreating their
> garrisons from
> Prax
> because the bulk of their armies is needed west. I think that the old
> P/BR
> supplement
> indicating three Lunar regiments in Prax is an exaggeration. Or maybe
> they

No, I suspect there are three regiments there. They headquarter in Pavis. But most of the time in an occupation, the units are split down for patrol sor garrisoning outposts, as mentioned previously.

Jeff